The Website Designer role at BuildThis works within the WordPress & Application Development department. The role requires tenacity, collaboration, initiative, and an in-depth understanding of design. As an agency, we work with a multitude of clients spanning many industries; and ability to adapt & an interest in constantly learning & evolving is paramount to this role.
BuildThis Design Methodology
Our Design Methodology is based on Honesty, Empathy, Self-motivation, Collaboration and Strategic and Bold design choices. Our designers not only craft beautiful elements and design languages but also work with clients to create unique concepts for their websites & applications that set them apart. We strongly believe in design that promotes your brand while creating empathetic, accessible interactions for your end users.
Produce engaging, unique website & application visual designs as part of a collaborative design team. Responsibilities includes:
- Work collaboratively & communicate effectively with Design Team, Project Managers, & Developers within Project Teams.
- Complete required work for client projects from onboarding to completion on time & within estimated hours.
- This includes, but is not limited to: performing stakeholder interviews, participating in client-facing design sprints, uncovering & evaluating functional needs/requests/features, usability & audience understanding & suggestions, wireframing, comprehensive research & insight of client’s industry & design specifications, visual design & web style guide creation, implementation of SEO best practices in asset coordination, and perform necessary measures to ensure mobile responsiveness & quality assurance across common browsers & devices.
- Development of WordPress websites in accordance with approved design layouts, on occasion.
- Accountable for delivery of work on the provided due date & within estimated time.
- Designer will be responsible to provide estimates (or approval on estimates) on new projects & adjust estimates based on information obtained throughout the course of a project.
- Professionally present & sell design vision & assets.
- Design & assist with internal web design, development, and graphic design needs for BuildThis marketing department & online presence.
- Proactively identify areas of self-improvement & professional development. Openly discuss goals with supervisor on a quarterly basis.
- Confident communicator – both in professional writing to work directly in client-facing project teams & to speak about your design reasoning.
- In-depth understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, & XD), WordPress technologies (themes & plugins), CSS3, HTML5, and SEO best practices for web development.
- Comprehensive knowledge of UI/UX theory & information architecture.
- Strong personal design vision.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple time-sensitive assignments simultaneously.
- Curiosity. BuildThis values asking questions – to our clients and to each other.
- Strong organizational skills & attention to detail.
We are looking for career-minded individuals. Our work environment is social, upbeat and fun. BuildThis offers competitive salaries with the opportunity to work in an enjoyable work setting. We provide health benefits, gym membership stipends, professional development resources, and lots of snacks!
We are located in the Chicago Board of Trade building in downtown Chicago.
Local candidates only, please! Only candidates authorized to work for any employer in the United States will be considered. We are unable to provide sponsorship at this time.